Thursday 26 March 2009

Creative Business…

I’ve been reading Modish blogs Creative Business series.
Modish is a blog that show cases creative artist businesses and their products. The writer of the Modish blog (Jenna Coray) has written a handy starting a creative business series, outlining common pitfalls in the start up process of a one person business. The most interesting articles for me have been the ones about advertising and getting customers, i.e. getting people to know that your business exists.

Now I haven’t really started a business yet, but that is my plan. Just writing that makes me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. And that is one of my major problems. I would love to be able to design and create jewellery and working with gemstones as my full time job; that would be my dream. But I’m a bit embarrassed to talk about it. Mainly cause I would be embarrassed to fail.

The fact that I do not want to talk about my jewellery would cause major problems if this was my main source of income. Since how would people know about your fantastic jewellery if you do not want to tell them about it?

Anyway, I’m going slowly in this process of planning and day dreaming. The first step I guess would be listing why I would like to have my own gemstone/jewellery business.

The main reason I can think of is that it would be fantastic to be allowed to work with something I really love to think about, talk about. I love to talk about jewellery and gemstones. With anyone that will listen. (Poor A gets to listen to hours of pros and cons of bezel vs. prong set jewellery)

So I guess the main reason I would want to have a business making jewellery is that I would love to work with something that I love, instead of something that I tolerate.

Anyway, I will have to strategise on how to make this a reality and not just a pipe dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment