Thursday 19 March 2009

Commision...or the story of the dented heart

I’ve been working on a commission for a guy at work, it’s a big hollow doomed heart pendant. It’s very heavy, and it’s taken forever to make. I’m at the stage where I hate it. I hope to finish it tonight, but wont get my hops up to far as just about everything that can go wrong has gone wrong with it, the chain has snapped, the solder due to the heat pressure has fissured, and it had horrible firemarks that took me at least 40 minutes to polish off.

I try to look at it the best possible light here, so I wont chuck it out the window. I have learned a lot from doing this.
1. Do not accept commissions on things that you do not know the steps, or if you do charge more then you would expect for your time. This pendant has probably taken me over 20 hours so far.
2. Make sure that if buyer change their mind about design half way through to explain better how much longer it would take.
3. Never ever do anything that has snake chains ever again.

So good lessons all in all, and ohh my lord if something happens, I break, scratch anything when I’m setting the stone tonight you will find me crying and pulling my hair out on Royal Hill tonight.

Pictures of pendant to come

No comments:

Post a Comment