Monday 18 May 2009

Cooking school


We went to a Thai cooking school today as that is what one does when one is in Chian Mai. Our school as out on on an organic farm. It was beautiful, the cooking should have been tasty if I would have been able to listen to instructions. We cooked 6 dishes, starting with a curry paste. I choose Red Curry, it's my favourite food in the whole world.

Unfortunately during the cooking process I managed to take 100 ml of fish sauce in the curry instead of the teaspoon required. That was a massive mistake, and the Curry tasted of little else then fish sauce. Even thought I had hand pounded the red curry paste myself. That took a long time I might add. So I was quite disappointed.

However, I did make Chicken in Coconut soup, Papaya Salad, Spring Rolls and Mango and Sticky rice.

But before the actual cooking took place we all went to the largest food market in Chiang Mai, and bought the ingredients. And there I saw a lot of interesting foods and slaughter methods. They kill the frogs by beating them on the head. One of the girls in the class she almost fainted when she saw that.

Anyway, I didn't bring my good camera, so here are some photos from my mobile camera.

More interesting Insects, you cant really see but these are giant flying ants. Eaten fried as a snack, like crisps.

And another pre-dinner snack. Grilled Frogs on a stick.

More types of rice then you could ever imagine needing.


And last but not least,MSG or Monosodium Glutamate. As many of you know I go a bit strange in head of MSG, I get hyper and get itchy and my throat hurts. Well here you can buy MSG by the bag and I have seen places that have MSG as a table spice. Nice.....


Tommorow I have promised A that we are not going to do anything. I'm not so good at that, but I will be doing my best. Hear you laters

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, what do the people over there have against amphibians? Poor frogs. It's a lovely day here in London, very sunny. I'm off to Cornwall this weekend for a spa weekend and definitely no surfing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the menu! It sounds great, except for the fish sauce part. Did Andrew eat it?
    Nice photos, and thank you for not taking pictures of the frogkilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello lovely, I had a work night out tonight and am suitably hammered. Miss u xxx

    ReplyDelete