Tuesday 18 August 2009

Swimming

I’ve started to swim, to learn to swim properly. Not breast stroke. I’ve been able to do good breast stroke for most of my life, no I’ve been focusing on front crawl. The type of swimming that ruins your hair and gives you funny looking googly eyes afterwards.

Swimming at this point is good for me I think; I’m a little freaked out and stressed about my job as I’m feeling a little out on thin ice. But I can’t think of that when I’m swimming. My brain is filled up with the concept of breathing. I just have to remember to breathe and move forward. Breathe and move forward.

I guess that could be a good look at life really, when you are panicking about your life just remember to breathe and move forward. Four arm strokes head to the right and breathe in, three strokes breath out slowly and on the fourth again head to the right and breathe in.

Swimming for me is working; I can’t compete with people around me. Cause I can’t see them. It’s also the only physical activity I have been able to do for years where I can push myself to my outmost limit but not hurt myself. That is not to say that swimming doesn’t hurt. My shoulders are killing me right now as I’m not able to kick with my legs and therefore only use upper body strength to swim.

Also I have found that just trying to swim faster leads to sinking; I have to focus on Swimming Better, with a higher quality in my technique to move faster. This is a totally new experience for me who have always been able to go faster or further in anything by just pushing harder. I can’t do it now; there must be a combination of trying harder and trying better. If I am just trying harder, I can’t breathe.

So I guess, I started the day by not panicking when I had my head under water, I just breathe and move forward and I will just continue to do so for the rest of the day. Four strokes head to the right and breathe in, three strokes breathe out slowly and on the fourth stroke head to the right and breathe in.

Breathe and move forward. This is all going to work out fine.

No sinking.

2 comments:

  1. Hej! Avslappning låter inte riktigt som din grej... Men jag måste ju återkomma till att tjata om Pilates. Prova pilates, de e bra. Du kan nog inte ta ut dig där heller. Pilates är som bra underkläder. Det gör att det du har ser bättre ut. När det gäller jobbet så kan jag bara säga "Fortsätt simma" precis som lilla nemo och doris gör när de dyker ner i djuphavsgraven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming, what do we do? We swim." - Doris.
    Fick idag bekräftat av min naprapat att handboll är den absolut värsta sporten att syssla med. Han sa att hockey hade varit bättre. Så alla skador - skyll dem på den roligaste idrotten i världen! simning låter bra för dig mary, du e som en fisk i vattnet. katarina också. Pilates e grymt, man får träningsvärk på ställen man inte visste fanns. Själv kör jag på den beprövade gå-till-och-från-tunnelbanan-varje-dag-träningen. Mycket effektivt om man vill gå UPP i vikt och om man vill att byxorna ska sitta för trångt. Prova vetja!

    ReplyDelete